Sunday, September 26, 2010

this is my confession.

once upon a time... i used to do slam poetry.

i dare you to try and find my old livejournal page.... you won't find it... but if you did, you'd see this...
rally cry.

mix me a drink.
make it strong and i'll show u what im made of.
you think because my eyes glaze i'll forget.
i'll tell you this with clairvoyance...
i fill my veins day by day
so that once you spark me i'll spit flames.
my tongue, my weapon, like a razor's edge
i'll draw blood.

funny, you feel suppressing my senses with your
sedatives will stop me.
stop me? please. the wide infinite expanse of space
can't keep me from the cause.
i'll smooth explode with ill warning.
tear through your rallies and riots.
your meaningless ploy against me.

a decade ago i was your nameless backyard neighbor.
you welcomed me with flames and grabbing hands.
you smashed my paper thin windows and pillaged my house.
the billboards wore our pain.
spider-webbed glass glittered with
bullet holes exclaiming, "CHINK!" and "NIGGER!"
and this is my rally cry.
flickering flames grew with every breath heaved in exhaust.
with you i live and against u i stand.
disgusted, destroyed, and deserted by my brother.
mix me a drink and i'll tell you this with clairvoyance...

your anger fed me with a tainted spoon
a tonic meant to subside my ambition
I breathe deep air that singes my lungs tricked to be left open

But I, I carry more than just the belongings of my ancestors
Compassion won over a language barrier
And patience that established roots in the concrete soil of cities
I carry the burden of two worlds on one pair of shoulders
And wear the sins of misunderstanding

But I know it makes me a different color other than my skin
The inside of me bleeds American
And despite what im told I know there is truth in a smile
And humility behind a question
But this naivete is reserved for quieter moments shared between a few minds
That have the trust of a small child

I am determined to cleanse my palette
Of the bitter taste of a misdiagnosis by a nation (the cool evaporation of
your misconduct from my mind)
That sees diversity in restaurants and take out
So take out my life and mix me a drink
The tonic of a lifetime lived before me, I conform to your glass
But disperse throughout the body like a million surging voices
Longing to leave the definitions of a world tithed by words that are
meaningless
When our eyes see light and darkness
Not on skin
But when we open and close them on a long day lived
With a love and intelligence that allows sweeter release than a liquid that
quenches thirst




No comments:

Post a Comment