Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Skull Dugga Mixtape {compressed} by climbon2x2

the liner notes.

Its cold, rainy, unseasonably pessimistic in Los Angeles, Dec. 21st at 11 pm. On the rare occasion that weather dictates a night in I like to cruise the interweb and go where the tide takes me. It occurs to me that I've never been much good at keeping up with friends-- I use facebook to look into other people's lives and laugh at unfortunate haircuts. I can't help but notice how the digital frontier is really putting a lot of pressure on my social life. "You've been invited to this... It's this person's birthday... 'Hey you, its been a long time... turns out I have herpes... you need to see a doctor...' etc etc etc." UGH. But I guess its probably time to symbolically make my once a year appearance with some of my more estranged loved ones-- so goes the holiday season. Its a mix of Yuletide spirit and various barbiturates that brings me "inspirado" (a la Jack Black). Realizing the only gift of which I can really spare the expense is a tape hand crafted in the spirit of our analog past. Analog in the sense that the songs will be hand picked, mixed and recorded live-- like the days you'd dub tapes of love songs for a girl. At 11:42 pm I started to record my Xmas gift to my dearest friends
(incidentally, I didn't really put too much effort into it because I realized that it'll probably end up in the hands of some of my most hated enemies alike). Though I'm a big fan of Jimmy Buffet's "Christmas Island" and other holiday themed albums-- making a mixed tape of Christmas carols is probably too unbearable for even the lowliest and most injudicious of my friends to listen to. Instead, I make a mixtape that again draws inspiration from the days of dubbing tapes for that special someone. Other inspirations include:

This guy.
For some reason I assume Kid Dynamite likes to dance and do blow. So the collection of songs enclosed are all dance songs. You'll first hear a clip of my favorite feeble fool, "Kip," from Futurama. That little snippet is the prologue to the story I try to tell through other peoples music. I hope the listener immediately understands what this string of grooves is all about. If you're the dumbass that doesn't get it I'll explain-- it's about love, relationships, break ups, and even deviant sex addicts (thank tyson for that). Well each song is a different scene. I like to leave art to interpretation but here's kinda how I saw it in my head, right?

1. prologue
2. Meet girl 'I Like That' 0:55
3. Meet boy 'Cold Act III' 4:05
4. Boy on the hunt 'Anyway' 5:55
5. Tango at the rave 'Ares' 8:05
6. Love is in the air 'Ghost In Colors'9:36
7. Trick on the side 'Beat that Beat' 12:20
8. She hates me 'Snakes' 15:00
9. She's out for revenge 'Nu Nu Yeah Yeah' 17:05
10. Ladies night out- Ackin' like they drunk 'Fly Like A G6' 19:05
11. She found some new dick? 'I Am Not a Whore' 21:28
12. The drunk dial... 'Needy Girl' 23:40
13. Be my baby... one more time.... 'Lights and Music' 25:22
14. Desperate times, desperate measures 'Hustler' 28:09
15. Maybe its for the best 'What You Know' 30:45
16. Becoming a Miss Independent 'L.E.S Artistes'34:10
17. Consider it a lesson in love 'Bulletproof' 37:07
18. The glorious denouement 'Little Secrets' 39:00
19. Peace of Mind 'Something Good Can Work' 40:29
20. I... am... not... a... robot... "I Am Not A Robot"43:05
21. The moral of the story? Guys are pigs. "Its Feels Better Than Love" 46:30

No comments:

Post a Comment